India House Houston
The transition from military to civilian life can be difficult. The biggest obstacle to hurdle is finding that great career launch pad. Being a military veteran, you already stand out in the crowd as a resource that is sought by those companies who value excellence from their personnel. At the Warrior For Life Luncheon, you get to meet those companies, one on one.
Designed to create direct contact between veterans and local employers, Warrior For Life provides the forum for veterans to get hired. Hosted once a month at Masraff's in the Galleria, veterans have a chance to market themselves in a professional, yet personal environment. The Lone Star Veterans Association has coordinated with local employers to emphasize a veteran hiring initiative and to introduce Warrior For Life as a resource for potential employees.
- Promptly arrive at 11:00 a.m. This is 30 minutes earlier than employers in order to prepare for the event.
- There is plenty of free parking.
- You need to have a proper and up-to-date resume/CV.
- You need to dress professionally. Suit and tie for men, business suit for women. If you need professional attire for the event email Connie Gray at email@example.com
- This is a professional lunch for you to talk with employers and network. It is not an event that involves family members or guests. Spouses are allowed to sign up and attend if they are also seeking to meet employers.
- If you register for the luncheon you need to attend. If you cannot make the luncheon, it is important that you email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (281)744-7972 by 10:00 AM the day prior to the luncheon. This allows space for those veterans on the wait list.
- Please sign up for the workshop the Tuesday before the event focused on telling your story when you first meet a potential employer, your elevator pitch. http://www.lonestarveterans.org/elevator_pitch_workshop
- Please arrive promptly at 11:00 a.m.
- Please limit yourself to no more than three attendees per company.
- Because of our non-for-profit status, you can receive a receipt at the event.
- This lunch is free for veterans and we greatly appreciate any donations your company can make to help make this lunch a success.
- We do offer Sponsorship Levels beginning at $500, click here for more details
Contact email@example.com to learn more.
What is the cost of the luncheon?
Veterans: There is a one dollar ($1.00) transaction fee to confirm RSVPs.
Employers: $35.00, this fee will be refunded for those who cancel by 10:00 AM the day prior to the luncheon.
Please click here to pay for your seat as an employer.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 281-744-7972
Can I update my registration information?
You can change your information at anytime.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No, a printed ticket is not necessary to bring with you.
Now that you're registered for the event please join the conversation on our private Linked In group. We invite employers to post their current openings in this group. These are current and past attendees of our Warrior for Life program and a great pool of talent to share your openings and questions for our veterans. You'll be confirmed to be accepted to the group once your RSVP for the event is confirmed, along with ticekt payment for employers.
1836 Community, friends, veterans and entrepreneurs:We are excited to release a preliminary agenda for next week. The programming will feature good access to very connected leaders across various Houston industries.What we will cover in our time together:
- An overview of 1836, founded in April of 2017 to build out an eco-system for veteran entrepreneur and intrapreneurship in Houston
- 30 minutes of networking with other vets
- 60 Minutes of networking with non-vet entrepreneurs from TMCx
- A meet and greet with the director of innovation at TMCx
- A pitch competition & "Office hours" - a chance to interact with lawyers and accredited investors
Pitch Competition FAQ
- Why should I consider participating?
- An opportunity to pitch professional investors and get mentorship, advice and a fair critique in a pro veteran, pro business group passionate about veteran entrepreneurship in Houston.
- A chance to persuade personal check writers to fund you.
- Everyone who submits a business plan will be listed in the handout and evaluation form. (There is therefore a chance to meet a mentor, advisor, investor, customer, influencer even if you don't pitch).
- How do I enter?
- Send in your slide deck to email@example.com
- Your submission will be evaluated and presented to a group of potential check writers who will select up to five finalists who will present.
- How big should my pitch deck be?
- No more than 12 slides. Check out this article on “The Ultimate Pitch Deck to Raise Money for Startups”.
- Who reviews the pitch decks?
- A professional investor who will provide notes and feedback
- Select 1836 Plank owners, a group of 50 mostly Houston accredited investors
Connections matter. Don't quit, one of 1836's functions is to direct you to an appropriate resource like the SBA, Score or Silver Fox. Much of this pitch competition is also about connectivity, mentorship, advice and potential introductions.
- What if I'm not selected? Should I still come?
- When are the finalists selected?
- By Aug 16th
- When do the finalists pitch?
- Aug 17th from 6 pm to 7 pm
- Who is eligible?
- You must have a veteran or veteran spouse co-founder. Startups will be considered regardless of industry, stage and funding.
- Do I need to sign up for the pitch competition to go to office hours and get mentoring / advice / coaching?
- No, office hours and workshops are for all attendees!
Lone Star Veterans Association's mission is to build the community of post-9/11 veterans through fun, positive, and inclusive events. Due to responses from member surveys over the past two years and the lack of current events targeting the LGBT community we are re-launching our LGBT Veterans social in 2017. This will be a monthly event for our veterans that have proudly served.
We have also created a closed Facebook group in order to allow this Affinity Group to effectively communicate between events.
Click Here to Join